Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Power of Thought

Yesterday I ran my first race.....ever. EPIC FAIL! it was doomed from the beginning I tossed and turned all night and dreamt that I fell during the race and everyone laughed at me. Just had a bad feeling. When we got to the site of the race there was some confusion because a part of the site was flooded but they decided to have the race anyway just change the course a little and decrease the distance. So my 5k was now a 2.79 miler.

My knee had been hurting off and on for the past couple of weeks (I blame all those stupid Burpees) but I have been running my normal schedule so this should have been no problem. Met up with some of my gym bffs and we were off. I felt good the first mile even though is was raining and my breathing was labored I'm used to that. Just kept saying to myself look at all these people around you keep going. Was making pretty good time too. Then it happened I heard a pop in my knee and felt a sharp pain. Dang it I somehow twisted my knee. I told my gym buddy to go on and I slowed to a power walk. I was tempted to stop but wanted to at least compete the run. This kind of crap never happens when I run alone. Okay it probably does but it doesn't effect me as much because there's no crowd around me. So anyway I walked and ran and walked and ran for the next 1.8 miles I was timed at 32 minutes. After the race my friends tried to make me feel better but I was in a funk. I've been running for 2 years and couldn't finish a 2.8 mile run without a problem. I was thinking maybe my best runs are behind me and I should give up on running, I'll never get back to where I was before the accident.

I came home iced my knee and wallowed in self pity, then I took a nap. Woke up to a better attitude. I'm going to run. It's as simple as that. I will start by retraining myself in running, the first thing is to take a week off. I have never really given myself time to heal, now is the time. While I'm on break I'm going to research running with injuries and find the best program to rebuild my distance. I have to do this for me. Believe it or not I love to run and want to make it work for me. A really smart person once said "The past does not define me" I'm believing this and moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment